There is so much more to tooth enamel than what the average person would think. It is the strongest substance in the human body and it helps protect our teeth from a variety of things such as extreme temperatures of hot or cold foods, chewing, biting, as well as acids and chemicals. If you are having tooth sensitivity or believe you may have enamel loss, contact our Las Vegas dentists Drs. Chin at (702) 445-7075 to schedule an appointment.
When your tooth’s enamel starts to erode you begin getting tooth decay. This can lead to cavities and possible root canals. Erosion can be caused by a variety of different factors. Here are a few tips that can help prevent the erosion of your much-needed enamel:
- Hold off on brushing – If you have had acidic food or beverages, wait at least one hour before you brush. The acidity softens your enamel making your teeth susceptible to damage from your toothbrush
- Use a straw for beverages – If drinking an acidic drink, the use of a straw can help the beverage to bypass your teeth
- Cut down on acidic foods and beverages – If you do choose something with high acidity, have it during mealtime as it will be less damaging on your enamel
- Chew sugar-free gum – The xylitol found in sugar-free gum can help reduce the acid in your mouth, while also strengthening your teeth by increasing the production of saliva
- Use toothpaste and mouthwash containing fluoride – The use of fluoride helps protect your enamel by making it more resistant to demineralization
By keeping your enamel intact, you can protect your teeth and aid in keeping them healthy. If you are missing enamel, our Las Vegas dentists at Drs. Chin Dentistry can help decide what your best option in fixing it will be.
If you are in Las Vegas, NV or the surrounding area and would like to schedule a consultation with our experienced dentists, call us at (702) 445-7075.