Starting with Halloween candy and going through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year treats, this time of year can be hard on your teeth. The dentists at Drs. Chin Dentistry recommend these tips for keeping your teeth healthy while enjoying the season:
- Eat right for whiter teeth. Avoid dark juices, cola, and gravies, and eat snacks such as raw vegetables that help clean your teeth.
- Respect brushing times. Remember to brush twice a day for at least two minutes each time.
- Brush lightly on your teeth. Brush using circular motions and by holding the brush at a 45 degree angle.
- Tea is important for your teeth. Drink at least one cup every day as tea contains important flavanoids and fluoride that prevent bacteria from sticking to your teeth.
- Use alcohol-free mouthwash. Rinses that contain alcohol dry your mouth excessively and studies suggest alcohol mouthwashes increase the risk of oral cancer.
- Always clean your tongue. Make sure to brush your tongue regularly to remove bacteria deposits that prevent fresh breath.
- Use baking soda for whiter teeth. If you feel baking soda is too rough on your gums, use a small amount of salt instead.
- Don’t use your teeth to open bottles or Christmas gifts. Keep a pair of scissors or a small knife nearby. Using your teeth can easily break or chip them.
- Hydrate properly. Drink one glass of water each hour to rinse away harmful bacteria and to keep your digestive system healthy. The risk for gum disease and cavities will also be decreased.
- Chew cinnamon-flavored gum. Cinnamon-flavored gum contains cinnamic aldehyde, an essential oil that fights production of bacteria in the oral cavity.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Chin or Dr. Pharar, call (702) 445-7075. Our practice serves patients throughout Henderson and Las Vegas, Nevada.