Gum disease is a serious condition that can affect anyone but is most common in adults. While the mildest forms of the disease may cause only minor pain and some annoyance, advanced stages of gum disease can result in tooth loss. If you suffer from gum disease, relief is just a phone call away. Please contact Drs. Chin & Pharar Dentistry at 702-445-7075 to schedule a gum treatment appointment with our Las Vegas dentists.
What is gum disease?
Gum disease is inflammation of the gums caused by the bacteria that naturally live in your mouth. When you follow good home care practices and receive regular checkups and cleanings, gum disease is usually preventable. But poor hygiene and neglect can result in irreparable damage to your natural teeth.
While gum disease is really one condition that can range from very mild to very severe, dentists usually classify it in three stages.
- Gingivitis is the mildest and earliest stage of gum disease. Plaque accumulates at the gumline, and if it isn’t cleaned by brushing and flossing, bacteria within the plaque can degrade the surrounding tissue and cause the gums to begin receding from the teeth. Gingivitis is usually reversible and readily treatable with improved dental hygiene techniques.
- Periodontitis is the next stage of the disease. In this advanced stage of gum disease, the bone and tissues that support the teeth become damaged, and a pocket (abscess) begins to form below the gumline. Food and plaque can accumulate in this abscess and further worsen the disease.
- Advanced periodontitis is the severest form of gum disease. At this point, the bone and supporting tissues have become so weakened that the teeth begin to move. While some treatments can save your teeth, in many cases the affected teeth may need to be extracted.
What are the symptoms of gum disease?
Gum disease progresses continuously, so it’s not always possible to say that certain symptoms appear only in gingivitis, while others don’t show up until advanced periodontitis. Nonetheless, the full family of gum disease stages is characterized by the following symptoms.
- Red, swollen gums that are sensitive to touch
- Gums that bleed during brushing and flossing
- Gums that have recessed from the teeth
- Teeth that have an elongated appearance (due to gum recession)
- Bad breath
- Pus between the teeth and gums
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s time to schedule a visit to the dentist for immediate care.
How is gum disease treated?
As always, prevention is the best treatment. Our general dentistry services are designed to help keep your teeth in excellent health. But if your gum disease has progressed beyond the point at which better habits can help, our highly trained dentists can offer treatments to restore the health of your teeth and gums, including:
- Professional cleaning
- Root planing and scaling
- Root canal treatment
If you lose teeth to gum disease, then a cosmetic restorative option like dental implants may be warranted.
If you’re tired of suffering from the pain of gum disease, it’s time to learn how modern dentistry can make gum disease a thing of the past. To arrange a gum treatment appointment with one of our Las Vegas dentists, please contact Drs. Chin & Pharar today at 702-445-7075.