Tooth enamel is the strongest substance that is produced by the body, it is also the first line of defense for your teeth. Over time enamel tends to weaken due to demineralization, which can lead to tooth sensitivity, chipping, as well as decay and cavities. Maintaining your dental hygiene is critical in guarding your enamel. If you are due for your routine check-up, contact Drs. Chin Dentistry at (702) 445-7075 to schedule your Las Vegas dental cleaning today!
To help avoid damage and weakening of the enamel you need to take steps to help stop demineralization while helping strengthen your enamel with re-mineralization. The following steps can help reduce or stop demineralization:
- Avoid sugary, starchy, and acidic foods
- Limit snacking as to not feed the bacteria in your mouth as often
- If consuming acidic or sugary foods or beverages, rinse your mouth out with water after
- If drinking an acidic beverage, use a straw to reduce contact with teeth
- Have a slice of cheese at the end of meals to help reduce acidity in the mouth
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Avoid toothpastes containing Glycerin
When trying to re-mineralize, the following steps can be helpful:
- Increase your intake of much needed vitamins and minerals by incorporating the right foods in your diet, such as: dairy, dark leafy vegetables, and protein-rich foods
- Chew on sugar-free gum to strengthen your enamel with the natural sweetener xylitol while also promoting production of saliva
- Either use a toothpaste containing calcium phosphate and fluoride or a re-mineralizing gel
If you have concerns about your oral hygiene or would like to get back to routine cleanings, contact the Drs. Chin Dentistry at (702) 445-7075 to schedule your appointment with an experienced Las Vegas dentist!